Sunday Morning Sermon Notes
Romans 5: 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—
The propensity to sin
GB HealthWatch website: Most genetic disorders, however, are "multifactorial inheritance disorders," meaning they are caused by a combination of inherited mutations in multiple genes, often acting together with environmental factors. Examples of such diseases include many commonly-occurring diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, which are present in many people in different populations around the world
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me
- Sin is both an act and a state
- Death: Physical death (our bodies grow feeble and corrupted; spiritual death: our spirits are feeble and corrupted, and we’re ignorant of God; eternal death, or the second death, judgement, hell.
- Genesis 2: 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.
He didn’t die! But his soul did.
The Soul that sinneth, it shall die Ezekiel 18:20
Death means to be removed from the sight of God. Adam’s soul died
Ephesians 2:1: And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
- Humans are not sinful because they sin; they sin because they are sinful
13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned God had not given his law through Moses- individual sins were committed in ignorance, yet death continued to have effect
according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
- Christ and Adam are compared and contrasted.
- Type: OT acts and people are hints of the gospel of Jesus Christ, eg Passover lamb, High Priesthood, Melchizedek etc.
- The same: By each performing one act, many are affected by it.
15 But the free gift is not like the offense.
- Christ’s offer vs Adam’s sin. Thank God!
For if by the one man’s offense many died,
- The wages of sin is death
- We all die because of Adam the First
much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
- The grace of God is at least as effective if not more so
- Why does Paul emphasis the word man- to show Christ as the second Adam
16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation,
- Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment
- Adam’s legacy is God’s wrath and enmity
but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification.
- Condemnation and justification are opposites
17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
- 1 Cor 15:22: For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive
- But more than mere live, we shall reign
18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.
- He’s repeating his point for emphasis
- Righteous act- was Christ’s entire life and terrible death and resurrection
19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.
- Adam was told ‘do not eat’ and ate
Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross
- The first Adam ordered to live, and disobeyed, the second ordered to die, and willingly obeyed.
- Made righteous- our altered status and altered character
20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound.
‘Sixth Former only’
But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more,
- Adam the first unleashed so much by performing one act; But Adam the second achieved even more
21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
In which Adam are you? IN which Adam’s image are you made? Of which Adam are you an heir?
Refugees, changing passports granted asylum. It changes their legal status. They are no longer subject to their previous governments rule, but their new government.
In Christ our Adamic status is altered.
If anyone has even read this far, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org to tell me whether it was useful or not.